From the still calm of the Augustinian canons, through to the rock and roll of The Beatles; through Sir Charles Barry, architect to the 19th Century super-rich, and the most famous of all landscape designers, Lancelot ‘Capability’ Brown, Trentham has had a long and colourful history.
For years the playground of one of England’s most prosperous dynasties - Trentham’s past is every bit as exciting as its future. Here, we chart the heady highs, the gradual decline and the imminent revival of this magnificent estate.
1086 is the earliest record of Trentham in the Domesday book, and the estate has enjoyed notable ownership over the years. The Earl of Chester, the Crown leased the priory to Richard Trentham in 1536, the Duke of Suffok, Sir Thomas Pope, wool merchants The Levesons, Lord Gower, the Leveson-Gowers, Earl Gower, in 1833 George Granville, the 1st Duke Sutherland and held by the Dukes of Sutherland until their abandonment of Trentham in 1905.
Download here the history from 1086 to 1996, when St Modwen Properties PLC and German investor Willi Reitz buy Trentham, and immediately state their intention to: